Government or Politics or Diplomacy or Public Industry are the part of the country’s economy that consists of state-owned institutions, including national organization and services provided by government industry to citizens of that country. The government sector involves the following resident institutional units:
• Central units
• State units
• Local government units
• Social security funds
• All non-market institutions that are controlled by government units and financed too.
Government sector does include public corporations when all the justice of such corporations is owned by their units. It does not involve quasi-corporations that are owned and controlled by government units.
Government Industry does provide various organizations-
- Education – By providing education for citizens government-industry works a lot on this sector. When all citizen of that country are educated and literate, that country would be known as maintained and developed where those citizens or individuals know and participate in the welfare of the country.
- Electricity- Electricity is one of the facilities provided by government sectors, in both rural and in urban areas. Electricity helps in just not in the home appliances but also different sectors like machines and types of equipment in factories, Agriculture, Education, etc.
- Fire Service- Another Service is fire services, that how less in time a fire truck is reaching onto the case, and how well is it working. This comes under the emergency services.
- Gas and Oil- Different countries’ government-industry provide different oil and gas, and also they charge a different amount for that. As Africa is a major place for oil and stuff, therefore, their government charge less amount for oil and gas from citizens. Therefore, providing oil and gas not in urban but also in rural areas increases terms for the government-industry.
- Healthcare- well maintained health care of one country is very important. Doctors, specialists must be in larger number in the country’s healthcare.
- Infrastructure- Providing places for citizens to live in a better place like buildings, flats, proper society etc. where they have all the facilities according to their need.
- Law Enforcement- Having strict law for criminal and security is very important. Every country has its own sets of law which every person of that country follows, this helps in discipline and make the better-developed country.
- Postal Service- Maybe it is a digital and communication era but still in some area, postal services are required, therefore, it has to be focused on the better postal services for citizens so that they can communicate with people far away.
- 11. Public Transport- Public transports play a major role in the government’s industry where every citizen cannot prefer private transport, therefore, they need proper, scheduled and good service of public transport personalised by the government. In the government-industry, public transport is very important and they provide facilities to people of that country.
The government-industry has the most activity to be done. The Department of Health and Human Services, which is responsible for the healthcare of the people. The Transportation Department and Labour Department involve public transportation for the goods of the people. Other departments and specialized agencies like Consumer Product Safety Commission, Environmental Protection Agency, Central Intelligence Agency etc are dispersed throughout the country.
There should be a large and maintained military base which secures the border of the country from immigrants and also from terrorists.
In a capitalist economy, the main responsibilities of the government are as follows-
- Managing problems to the environment, growth of population, extinction of natural resources.
- Without any kind of restrictions on the working of a free competitive market.
- Associating private projects in economic sectors.
- Generating a central planning body that helps in the development of an economy on a larger scale.
- Regulating, directing and adjusting various economic situations, such as controlling inflation and deflation by formulating and implementing various financial and economic measures.
- Increasing the effectiveness of the free competitive market system through various measures.
- Governing the power of anticompetitive and large corporations to flee various economic problems, such as unemployment and inequitable distribution of resources among people.
• Developing and nourishing the free market mechanism system.
For case, citizens or individuals are given the freedom of choice, but it is subject to the limitations of the policy framework of the economy. The countries in which the socialist economy is adopted are China, Poland etc. The objective of the government-industry in an economy is the same as in the capitalist economy, such as satisfying justice, growth, efficiency.
In an economy, the purpose of government-industry is entirely different from the function of government in a capitalist economy. In a capitalist economy, the government acts as a regulatory body thereby in a socialist economy, the government plays a broad role in almost all economic activities, like production, distribution, and consumption of resources in a nation. In an economy, not only the ownership of private property is allowed to a limited amount, but the concept of the free market mechanism is also disregarded.
The government-industry includes all levels of government–, state, federal and local. These three levels occur in the economy by collecting and spending tax expenses and by establishing and enforcing laws, rules and regulations. The government-industry takes on this intervention because society has considered that the provision of some goods and services are better handled by the government than by any other market sectors, The government-industry handles data much more responsibly rather than other sectors. So, Government industry looks out for the welfare of the country and also provides different facilities.
Therefore, the Government industry works on the social welfare of people by providing them with several facilities like employment, Literacy, Education. Various other facilities like public transportation, better economy, better market, investments in the market. Various institutions like schools, colleges, hospitals, malls, etc. If a country stands on these factors completely then that country will be recognized as a developed and maintained country and this all be done by with the help of the government-industry.
While all of these content help us understand the meaning of the word ‘government-industry’ and its details they provide to the country and its people.
Role of IT in the Government Industry
Information Technology plays a very important role in all fields and departments today all over the world.IT plays a very important role in today’s government all over the world.
In recent days the IT industry is playing a major role in all the government sectors in India. Prime Minister Modi wants to make India go digital and he is bringing about a lot of changes and making a lot of efforts to bring about this change in the country. Most of the educated people in India have started going digital in many government dealings and procedures.
The government has introduced the Digital India program so that our country can reach the level of the other well-developed countries of the world. Most of the government offices and departments are becoming digital. When India reaches 100 per cent literacy the whole nation can become digital.
The digital India program is a flagship program started by the government of India with a wide vision to transform our country into a digitally empowered society and recognized as a country with a knowledgeable economy. This journey of e-governance started taking a widespread influence during the late 90s. The government of India launched the Digital India Program to transfer the entire ecosystem of the public services to start using Information Technology methods. The government has succeeded in changing many public departments with e-governance.
Digital India Program has 3 main key visions.
- Digital Infrastructure as a Core utility for every citizen of the country.
The government is trying to connect even the remotest villages throughout India with good broadband internet services so that the electronic government services can be used throughout the entire country. When this is done the entire nation would be able to use all the digital government facilities provided by the government. The government has also proposed to introduce “Digital Lockers” which will be private sharable spaces on a public cloud where each citizen can store the government-issued documents by different government departments for online access. The government has decided to make it safe and secure so it cannot be hacked. This helps the citizen to share all the documents necessary to the government online instead of physically submitting it. This also ensures the safety of government documents. In the case of floods, fire, and other natural calamities the documents might get destroyed or get lost but the digital lockers help the documents to be safe always no matter what the situation is.
The use of mobile phones throughout the country has enabled the telecom industry to grow fast and wide. The use of mobile phones has helped the government to provide their services even to the most rural areas of the country electronically. The government has introduced the Mobile Seva which helps the government to provide its public services through SMS, voice messages and mobile apps.
The banks have introduced mobile banking with their apps that can be installed in the mobiles and which helps the citizens to pay their taxes, their bills and all payables to the government with just a touch of their mobile from anywhere in the world anytime. We do not need to stand in long ques and waste time like olden times.
- Governance and Service on Demand
The Central and State Governments have started taking a lot of initiatives over the years to bring about a positive change in government policies and services through technology. Most of the government offices have become computerized and digitalized so that unlike yesteryears the common man does not have to wait in ques and waste time. The ultimate objective of the government is to make all government services accessible to the common man in his locality through common service delivery outlets and make sure there are efficiency, transparency and easy accessibility with affordable costs to fulfil the basic needs of the common man.
The government has started making government financial transactions very easy through internet facilities. The common man can pay all his taxes an bills to the government without going to the office and the transactions are made with transparency and efficiency. All government transactions can be made cashless which seems to be very safe in today’s world.
The government is providing services in real-time from online and mobile platforms. All the citizen entitlements are made portable which is available on the cloud. The government has made financial transactions digital and cashless. The government has digitally transformed services for making business easier. Leveraging Geospatial Information System (GIS) for the development and decision support systems. Most of the government services can be used in a better way by proper use of GIS technology in the e-governance applications. The GIS technology is being introduced in government survey departments and earth science departments.
- Digital Empowerments of Citizens
The citizens of the country are generally connecting and communicating with each other through mobile services and computers through digital networks. The Digital India Programm is promising to transform India into a digitally empowered society with digital literacy and digital resources.
Digital literacy helps the citizens to fully exploit the government’s digital technologies and facilities to empower themselves. The government is also focusing on making at least one person in each household digitally capable so that it can gradually change all government issues and facilities digital.
On the whole, the government has started focusing a lot on the IT department to make everything handy and easily accessible to all the citizens no matter which area of the country they live in. All government departments have become digital. We can pay our EB bills online. Our property taxes and water taxes can be paid online. The highway departments with their tolls have also become digitalized and any common man can travel cashless and pay their toll fee with a debit or credit card.
The Aadhar card had been introduced with all the personal details of a citizen and can be used as an ID proof throughout the country which is useful for every citizen and all the government officials also. All passport applications can be filled online and appointments can be fixed online from the person’s house itself which has become very easy for one and all.
With the vast influence of IT in the government offices and departments, India will soon reach a very high level in the world economy and will become one of the digitally improved countries of the world.